Wednesday, October 19, 2016

DIY Beadboard Ceiling To Replace a Basement Drop Ceiling

DIY Beadboard Ceiling After

Hello Remodelaholics!  It’s Tamara from Provident Home Design here to share another DIY with you!  Last time on Remodelaholic I shared a tutorial for creating this Built-in Media Wall Unit .  

How-to-Make-a-Media-Wall-Unit-with-Extra-Storage

Today I’m sharing another money saving DIY that helped turn my basement from Blah into Beautiful.

Our basement was finished with a drop down ceiling by the previous owners.  It didn’t look the greatest especially because there was one area between two beams that came down a lot lower then the rest and made of the room feel more dungeon-like.
DIY Beadboard Ceiiling Before
 
Then our refrigerator leaked and damaged several of the drop down tiles underneath it.
 
I was desperate to get rid of the drop down ceiling in the basement but the prices for getting the ceiling professionally finished and with much needed additional lighting would run me close to $2000.
 
I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands and I’m so glad I did.  
 
So what did I do?  I installed a beadboard ceiling.
 
Here is my After!
DIY Beadboard Ceiling After
 
 
 
Here’s how I did it!
How To Install A Basement Beadboard Ceiling To Replace A Drop Ceiling | Tutorial from Provident Home Design on Remodelaholic.com

How to Install a Beadboard Ceiling in a Basement

 First I removed all the drop down ceiling tiles and drop down support systems in the section I wanted to redo (which comes down very easily).  
 
DIY Beadboard Ceiling Progress
 
Then I hired my friend’s extremely handy husband who installed 6 can lights. (Remodelaholic note: See how Tasha installed recessed can lights here.)
 
Next I went out and purchased (4) 4×8 sheets of wide beadboard (normal beadboard works great too).  My Home Depot had them priced at $30 a sheet so I spent a total of $120 on the beadboard.
 
If you are covering a large ceiling area without many obstructions than you will use the whole 4×8 ft sheet of beadboard at once.   I was installing the beadboard between two beams so my first step was to measure the distance between the two ceiling beams and to cut the beadboard sheet to that size. 
 
 DIY Beadboard Ceiling Measure and Cut
 
 I did this by using a jigsaw but you could also use a table saw (or if you already know the sizes you need when you buy it you can ask the workers at Home Depot or Lowes to cut it to size for you).
 
Note: Before cutting your board make sure to decide if you want your beadboard to run vertically or horizontally.
 
Next you will need to decide at what height you want your ceiling to hang.  To decide this examine the wood beams in your space.  Does it makes sense to go ahead and attach them directly to your wood beams?   Or are there steel beams, pipes, plumbing fixtures that would make sense for the beadboard ceiling to hang lower?
 
In my case the  tops of the steel beams hung lower than the wood beams and it made more sense for me to have the level of the headboard ceiling match the  level of the tops of the steal beams (see diagram below).
 
DiY Beadboard Ceiling Ceiling Diagram
 
So I measured the distance from the bottom of the wood beams to where I wanted to have the ceiling hang and found wood (a 2×3) the same depth.
 
Screw the wood supports into the wood beams.
DIY Beadboard Ceiling Screw in Wood Support
 
 
 
Before hanging the beadboard you will need to assess if there are any obstacles that you will need to cut around (if you are lucky there won’t be any).
 
In my case I needed to cut around the newly installed can lights.  Measure and mark on the back of your beadboard where the obstacle is.  With paper and pencil you can trace the obstacle to make a template to draw onto the beadboard.
 
Then cut around your lines with a jig saw.
DIY Beadboard Ceiling how to work around obstacles
 
Next screw the headboard into the wood supports (or directly into the wood beams if you are going that route).
 
DIY Beadboard Ceiling Screw in Beadboard
Note:  You will need at least one other person for this part.  It is near impossible to hold up a large piece of beadboard while holding a drill to drill the screws into the wood supports (trust me on this one).
 
Also you will want to make sure you use flathead screws so that the head of the screw will be flush with the headboard when it goes all the way in.
 
Now install all of your  boards with enough screws that the board is not sagging (I did mine about 18 inches apart).  
 
When adding another board butt beadboard ends up next to each other with about ¼ gap in between..
 
When your done with this step don’t worry if it doesn’t look pretty it’s not supposed to yet!:-)
DIY Beadboard Ceiling Needs Trim
 
 
Now with a nail gun or Liquid Nails install a piece of trim wide enough to cover the seams of the beadboard sheets.  I used 1-½ lattice but really you can use anything you want as long at it covers the seams.
 DIY Beadboard Ceiling Trim
 
Note:  The Liquid Nails method will only work it you use  a lightweight piece of trim (like lattice) and if you use painters tape to hold it up until it dries.
 
Lastly you will fill in the screw holes with spackle and paint the whole ceiling (trim and all) one color.
 
Now it should look really pretty!:-)
 
DIY Beadboard Ceiling Photos
 
DIY Beadboard Ceiling
 
 
DIY Beadboard Ceiling After
 
I am so happy with how it turned out and for the price!  Please don’t hesitate to let me know if you have any questions!  
 
If you want to read more about my basement makeover on a budget, you can Click HERE.  And if you want more budget friendly home ideas and DIYs come check out my website at Provident Home Design!  Have a great week! 🙂
How To Install A Basement Beadboard Ceiling To Replace A Drop Ceiling | Tutorial from Provident Home Design on Remodelaholic.com

More ways to dress up a ceiling:

DIY pallet wood ceiling

Gorgeous DIY Rustic Wood Ceiling by Maple Leaves and Sycamore Trees featured on Remodelaholic

Stunning small kitchen remodel, DIY plank ceiling, by Chatfield Court featured on @Remodelaholic
 
diy coffered ceiling in a master bedroom, Small Town Idaho Life
 
9 Simple herringbone pattern painted on the ceiling completely transforms the feel of this home's entryway, by The Sweetest Digs featured on @Remodelaholic
 
Armstrong planked ceiling makeovers (3 of 3)

The post DIY Beadboard Ceiling To Replace a Basement Drop Ceiling appeared first on Remodelaholic.

http://www.remodelaholic.com/diy-beadboard-ceiling-basement-drop-ceiling/

No comments:

Post a Comment